Comment on this story
comment
A superyacht capsized off the coast of southern Italy over the weekend in a dramatic capsize captured on video and shared on Twitter by the Italian coast guard.
The video compilation shows the My Saga, a roughly 130-foot boat, battling the waves before slowly sinking into the water.
The yacht was sailing from Gallipoli to Milazzo, Sicily on Saturday, local media reported, when it began taking on water and eventually sank a few hours later about nine nautical miles from the port of Catanzaro.
All crew and passengers were rescued and unharmed, the coast guard said on Twitter. He said he launched an investigation to determine what happened.
The My Saga first reported a problem on Saturday after setting sail from Gallipoli, in the southeast of the Italian peninsula, according to the country’s National Associated Press Agency (ANSA). Patrol boats from the Italian Coast Guard in Crotone and from the European Border and Coast Guard Agency (Frontex) were dispatched to the scene.
They found the ship taking on water by its stern. Five people, four passengers and one crew member, were initially rescued in a Romanian patrol boat acting on behalf of Frontex. They were then transferred to the Coast Guard ship and taken to Catanzaro, ANSA reported.
In the meantime, a towing company was hired to attempt to salvage the vessel. A tugboat arrived and took the remaining four crew members on board, including the captain, before beginning to tow the vessel to Crotone. But, according to ANSA, the bad weather made the process difficult, as well as the position of the yacht, which was tilted in the water.
Eventually, the tug abandoned the yacht and sank in the Gulf of Squillace. The coast guard took the remaining crew to Catanzaro.
It’s not the first time a sinking yacht has caught the attention of the Internet. In May, rapper Cardi B posted footage on social media of a yacht sinking near her hotel while on vacation in an undisclosed location. The artist was heard shouting as he asked if there wasn’t a “big ship that could save him”. Finally, he said “goodbye” as he disappeared into the water. He later clarified that there was no one on board.
In the same month, bystanders watched as another multimillion-dollar yacht, the Rendevous, sank in Torquay Harbour, a marina in southwest England, after a fire broke out on board. Authorities warned of possible air and water pollution because the yacht was carrying about nine metric tons of diesel fuel.
And earlier this month, the 145-foot Aria SF caught fire on the Balearic island of Formentera in Spain in an incident that was also caught on camera and shared widely on social media. Those on board were evacuated and no one was injured, The Guardian reported. According to reports, the approximately $23 million yacht had just been delivered to its owner.
Chico Harlan contributed to this report.