The U.S. Department of Justice released a partially blacked-out document on Friday explaining the justification for an FBI search of former President Donald Trump’s Florida estate earlier this month, when agents removed the top secret government records and other classified documents.
The 32-page affidavit, even in its redacted form, contains additional details about an ongoing criminal investigation that has brought new legal jeopardy for Trump as he remains a dominant figure in the Republican Party and considers another candidacy for the presidency. It underscores the volume of sensitive government documents housed at Mar-a-Lago.
“The government is conducting a criminal investigation into the improper disposal and storage of classified information in unauthorized spaces, as well as the unlawful concealment or removal of government records,” the affidavit says.
The affidavit confirms the earlier report that federal officials told Trump and his legal team that “Mar-a-Lago does not include a secure location authorized for the storage of classified information.”
The FBI submitted the affidavit, or affidavit, to a judge so it could obtain a warrant to search Trump’s property. Affidavits often contain vital information about an investigation, with officers explaining the rationale for why they want to search a particular property and why they believe they are likely to find evidence of a possible crime. But affidavits routinely remain sealed during pending investigations, making the judge’s decision to release portions of them all the more surprising.
In recognition of the extraordinary public interest in the investigation, US Magistrate Judge Bruce Reinhart last week ordered the department to release a redacted version of the affidavit. The directive came hours after federal law enforcement officials filed under seal parts of the affidavit they want to keep secret as the investigation progresses.
Probe in progress cited by editorial
Explaining the need for the redactions in a separate document, the Justice Department said “the affidavit is full of additional details that will provide a road map for anyone trying to obstruct the investigation.” The department also expressed concern about jeopardizing the identity of potential witnesses or FBI agents who were involved in the execution of the search.
Earlier this week, it emerged that the National Archives and Records Administration recovered more than 100 classified documents, totaling more than 700 pages, from an initial batch of 15 boxes recovered from the Mar-a-Lago estate earlier this year, it has been reported. recently public correspondence from the government with Trump’s legal team.
An aerial view of former US President Donald Trump’s Mar-a-Lago home is shown on August 15 in Palm Beach, Florida (Marco Bello/Reuters)
The letter was made public this Tuesday on the website of the National Archives. It was released Monday night on a website launched by John Solomon, who was appointed by Trump in June to be one of his designated representatives at the National Archives and is a Trump ally and conservative journalist.
In the letter, a National Archives official wrote that items marked Top Secret, as well as information about special access programs, had been identified in the boxes.
The affidavit released Friday indicated that the process to retrieve the documents has been ongoing since at least May 2021.
Separately, Trump’s lawyers asked a federal judge to halt the FBI’s review of documents recovered from his estate until a neutral special master can be appointed to inspect the records. The judge overseeing the case has asked Trump’s team for clarification after that initial filing.
Unlike the ranches of Ronald Reagan and George W. Bush, George HW Bush’s seaside vacation home in Maine or Barack Obama’s residences in Hawaii, Trump’s residence has proven to be a special challenge. Mar-a-Lago is open to members who pay annual dues after a six-figure initiation fee.
During his presidency, a 33-year-old woman was sentenced to prison and later deported after being found on the premises carrying four mobile phones, a computer and an external hard drive. Prosecutors rejected his defense that he was only looking for photos with famous people.
US President Joe Biden, when asked by a reporter on Friday, said it was up to the Justice Department to determine whether national security was compromised at Trump’s Florida home.