Water companies are in a standoff with the government over hosepipe bans as they resist introducing restrictions despite growing concerns about drying up rivers and the prospect of drought in England and Wales.
The decision to restrict water use is made by individual water companies, who are advised by the government and charities as part of the National Drought Group.
Government sources said they have urged more water companies to implement a ban on excessive water use, such as hoses for gardening and car washing, as well as filling children’s pools.
Last month was England’s driest July for over 100 years and some areas have had their driest summer on record.
Two water companies, Southern Water and South East Water, have announced hose bans for millions of customers, with Thames Water and Welsh Water warning restrictions.
South East Water said on Wednesday it had “no choice” but to restrict water use to 3 million homes from August 12, citing that demand this summer broke “all previous records”. in extremely dry conditions.
But other companies, even in the driest areas, have held firm. Those involved in the drought discussions say companies would rather wait until the last minute, when rivers run dry, than irritate customers by placing early bans.
graphic
Mark Lloyd, chief executive of the Rivers Trust, said: “I told the National Drought Group that every year we get to this point and at the last possible limit, when the rivers are at their lowest level, we have a discussion about bans temporary use”.
He said the situation may get worse before it gets better because when people fear an impending ban, many rush to use water and put extra strain on the system.
“Announcing it at the last minute also makes everyone rush to wash their cars and fill the kiddie pools and wash the dog and causes a surge in demand before the ban comes,” he said.
“This should happen before the rivers reach a desperate state and there is not enough water for wildlife.”
Fear of a customer backlash could prevent companies from acting, he said. “It’s unpopular (gardeners complain) and there’s also a trust issue: people point out that there are a lot of leaks from the water company’s pipes and people say, ‘Well, fix your leaks and I’ll leave to use my hose. Lloyd added.
“There’s a breakdown of trust between the public and the water companies, especially with the sewage spills and everything.”
Sign up to First Edition, our free daily newsletter, every weekday morning at 7am BST
In East Anglia, the driest part of the country, it has barely rained all summer, with the soil receiving just 4% of the average rainfall in July. Anglian Water has ruled out a ban on hosepipes, although locals point out that rivers in the area have dried up.
Thames Water, which covers London, Oxford and the surrounding areas, has admitted that demand for water has at times outstripped the rate at which it can be treated and pumped into taps, and that dry conditions have threatened supplies.
Despite saying a ban is being considered, there are no plans to put one in place this month.
A spokesman for the Environment Agency said: “The Environment Agency is working with water companies and other catchments to protect water resources and ensure they take preventative measures so that the needs of water users are met water and the environment.
“Water companies are also putting their drought plans in place where necessary to maintain water supplies, but everyone can do their part to use water wisely.
“South East Water’s announcement of a temporary usage ban for its customers in Kent, East Sussex and West Sussex is one of many measures they and other water companies should consider to reduce usage of water and protect customer supplies and the environment.”
A government spokesman said: “Water companies have a legal duty to ensure an adequate supply and have a range of tools to deliver this. This includes bans on hosepipes, which is the responsibility of the company to ‘local water decide whether to deploy.
“The Government continues to work closely with water companies and the Environment Agency to take any further precautionary measures necessary to protect public supplies, the environment and critical sectors that rely on water, including farmers . All water companies have confirmed that there are no current risks to essential water supplies, but we will continue to monitor the situation closely.”